Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Crab Cakes a la Paxson

Last week I spent the whole week in the Outer Banks, NC on vacay. Fret not, though, my dear friend Katie stepped up to the challenge of not only watering my plants, but of fending off Rocky as well! I must say I was ecstatic to come home to find all of my green tomatoes still in one piece. I think she may have to come over and work her voodoo on Rocky more often!

Anywho, the beach was fun, I'm really tan, but most importantly I have a new recipe to share! One of the best parts of going to the beach is eating lots and lots of seafood. And let's be honest, what's a vacation without crab cakes?!

Luckily my friend Ashley was with me, and she happens to have the best crab cake recipe, courtesy of her dad. I've shared the recipe below (as quoted by Ashley) along with some visual aids.

Crab Cakes a la Paxson
1 can crab meat (use backfin, not claw)

1 piece of bread, torn into little pieces

1-2 eggs (2 makes them more cake like, whereas 1 is more flaky I guess is a good way to put it.)

2 tablespoons mayo

1 tablespoon mustard (these 2 are rough measurements, I normally eyeball it until it looks right, it is a trial and error thing)
**onions and peppers optional
That is the basic recipe. For the ones I made at the beach I sautéed onions and peppers in butter and added it to the recipe. You can get creative, add whatever you want. Oh, and Old Bay, you cannot make crab cakes without Old Bay, it is like against the will of God.To cook them, heat a skillet with olive oil. Form the mixture into cakes, making sure they are about the same size so they cook evenly. About 7 mintues on each side should do it, but this depends on their size.
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:

Exhibit E:

Exhibit F:
(frozen Capri Sun's make handy ice packs for cooking injuries!)

Et Voilà!

No comments: