Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Hachis Parmentier Végétarien

Hachis Parmentier Végétarien

(Blogger Fail: So, I actually wrote this post last week and thought I'd hit the publish button. Oops!)

As the temperature dropped well below freezing, comfort food was a must on Monday night's dinner menu. Then again, I also didn't want to venture out  to the grocery store. I surveyed my kitchen stock, and decided to peruse Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table, to see what the French had in mind for a stick-to-your-ribs dish with relatively few ingredients. I'm a sucker for anything with a picture, and the photo of the Hachis Parmentier in the book almost made me forget just how frigid it was outside. Hmmmmm, but did I have the ingredients?

The original recipe called for braised beef and sausage, of which I had neither. The "bonne idée" note on the side, however, suggested using ground beef and sausage (of which I still had neither), but that got me thinking....I did have a couple of bags of soy crumbles in the freezer. I figured that by adding the right spices (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme à la Scarborough Fair) I could mimic both the savory beef and spicy sausage flavors, and concoct a vegetarian version of this traditional French comfort food. So, does my picture above make you feel all warm and comforted?

Hachis Parmentier Végétarien
As Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table

3 - Cloves of Garlic (diced)
1 - Small Onion (diced)
2 - Bags of Soy Crumbles
1 Tablespoon - Parsley
1 Teaspoon - Sage
1 Teaspoon - Rosemary
1 Teaspoon - Thyme
1 Tablespoon - Tomato Paste
1 Cup - Vegetable Broth
*Salt and Pepper to Taste

2lbs - Potatoes
3/4 Cup - Milk
1/2 Cup Gruyère (grated)
2 Tablespoons - Parmesan or Asiago (grated)
1 Tablespoon - Butter (grated)

- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Sauté garlic and onions in a large skillet 'til onions become translucent.
- Add soy crumbles and spices to skillet, and cook 'til the crumbles are cooked.
- Stir in broth and tomato paste, and cook on medium 'til mixture thickens.
- Spoon "meat" mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish, cover, and set aside.

- Boil quartered potatoes (I leave the skins on) until you can poke them easily with a fork.
- When potatoes are cooked, add milk, and mash them using a potato masher, hand mixer, or immersion blender (my fave!).
- Spoon potatoes over meat mixture.
- Spread grated cheese over potatoes
- Top with shredded butter, and bake for 30minutes or 'til topping is golden brown.

No comments: