Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Meet the Plants

Here's a glimpse of my mini-organic garden.
I have a Purple Cherokee heirloom tomato, a Better Bush tomato, a purple bell pepper, a Sweet Banana pepper, scallions, basil, spearmint, and lavender.
I used to think shoe sales were my weakness; however, I've found that I can barely drive past a nursery without stopping, much less walk out of one empty-handed! The one advantage of having limited space on my back porch, is that I don't come home with enough plants to start my own farmer's market. I guess it is also helpful that there are only so many plants, pots, and bags of dirt that can fit into a Mini Cooper.
Albeit, good things can come from impulse purchases. Take, for instance, this amazing hanging strawberry plant! Growing up, I loved the strawberry patch we had beside our house. There's absolutely nothing better than a nice juicy strawberry that's been soaking in the sun. As much as I love strawberries, I didn't think I would be able to have any given the constraints of my back porch. Of course, that was until I discovered that apparently you can get hanging strawberry plants: sheer Genius!

Check back soon for not only updates, but tricks I've learned, mistakes I've made, and vermin I've battled...

No comments: