Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Richele Makes Apple Sauce

When I was a youngster I remember my mom making apple sauce only twice: once with a foley mill and then once with this magical thing called a Squeezo (the Squeezo truly is magical because you don't have to peel or core the apples). What I recall most, though, was how wonderful the fresh, tart apple sauce tasted. If you've never had homemade apple sauce, you're missing out. The stuff you buy at the stores doesn't even come close to real apple sauce.

I was at Orr's Farm Market a few weeks ago and was super excited to see that they had Lodi apples. I guess you can use pretty much any variety of apple, but I think Lodi are the best for apple sauce since they're nice and tart. Anywho, I bought a bushel, but there was just one problem....where was the squeezo?! Fret not, we found it buried deep in storage just waiting to churn out some sauce.

There's a children's book or something that says "rain makes apple sauce." I don't know about rain, but here's how Richele makes apple sauce:

1. Wash the apples and cut into quarters
2. Fill a large pot about 2/3 full and place a running over 1/2 cup of water in the pot
3. Cook on Medium-High until things start to soften up, then turn back to Medium-Low until all apples are smushy 4. Load up the Squeezo 5. Crank Away! 6. Add sugar to taste


7. Enjoy or Freeze*+!!!!

*Freezing Tip: place a piece of wax paper on top of sauce before putting the lid on; this prevents crystals from forming on sauce
+P.S. I am kind of obsessed with the new Ball freezing containers

No comments: