Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

B3 Waffles: Buttermilk, Buckwheat, and Blueberries


One of the more useful things I found when cleaning out Spring Maples, was a brand new, still in the box, 1970's waffle iron. A waffle iron was never something on my kitchen wish list, but I figured since I found one, I may as well use it! After several trials and lots of errors, I finally made really good waffles without setting off smoke detectors or having a stream of batter across the kitchen floor. Before you make these waffles there are two things you MUST remember:

1. Do not overfill the waffle iron
2. Do not under any circumstance use fresh blueberries*

B3 Waffles

2 Cups - Buckwheat Flour
4 Tablespoons - Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons - Sugar
1 Teaspoon - Salt

2 Cups - Buttermilk
2 Eggs

2 Tablespoons - Melted Butter

1/2 Cup Dried Blueberries**

-Heat and grease up waffle iron as appropriate for your model

-Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl

-Whisk eggs and buttermilk in small bowl 'til frothy

-In small batches add dry ingredients to liquid mixture, and stir 'til combined.

-Stir in melted butter and blueberries, ladle batter into waffle iron and cook 'til golden brown.

*I used fresh blueberries once, and will never do it again. The blueberries adhered themselves to the waffle grid and it took me hours of scrubbing to remove them.

**You could also use a 1/2 cup of raisins, toss in a teaspoon or two of cinnamon and have cinnamon-raisin waffles.

No comments: