Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Dark Chocolate Pots de Die For

These delightfully indulgent desserts are a bit thicker than traditional pots de cremes, yet still maintain that smooth and rich texture that can only come from nice, fattening ingredients. This is a great dinner party dessert since it doesn't require a ton of ingredients or a lot time; it can also be prepared up to a day in advance. The stirring may get a bit tedious, but I find creating patterns as I stir passes the time. As a child when I would help my grandmother cook, I always got stuck with stirring and so (my horsey readers can appreciate this) to make the task less tedious I would trace jump courses or Dressage test patterns in whatever I happened to be stirring.

I portioned this batch into 5 servings, but since I couldn't even finish a whole one, I'd recommend spreading the mixture out over 6 dessert glasses.

Dark Chocolate Pots de Die For
4 - Egg Yolks
1/3 Cup - Sugar
1 Pinch - Salt
1 1/2 Cups - Heavy Cream
1 Cup - Dark Chocolate Chips or Pieces

- In medium bowl whisk together yolks, sugar, and salt until well-blended.

- Place heavy cream in medium sauce pan and warm over medium heat until it just starts to think about   boiling, but don't let it actually boil!

- Next slowly whisk warmed cream into yolk and sugar mixture a little bit at a time. It is crucial not to add too much too fast or else the heat from the milk will cause the yolks to scramble.

- Once you've incorporated everything into the medium bowl, transfer that mixture back to the sauce pan.

- Now it's time to camp out at the stove :)

- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring CONSTANTLY until the mixture finally thickens. There will be times when it seems like it won't happen, but it will, and you'll know it when it does!

-Once custard thickens remove from heat and whisk in chocolate.

- Pour mixture into 6 dessert glasses, chill, and thoroughly lick remaining mixture from bowl.

No comments: