Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Sweet Potato Fries & Avocado Reubens

Rational I am not, so it should really come as no surprise that I hate sweet potatoes, but I Love sweet potato fries (or SPFs if you will). Frozen ones are meh, some restaurant ones are OK, but homemade ones, dear readers, are the best you'll ever have. I think the biggest advantage to homemade SPFs is that you're totally in control--the sweet potato is your oyster, or let's say mussel, I don't like oysters either. Anyway, you can cut them to any thickness and you can make them sweet, savory, spicy, or all of the above! Below is how I made them last night, but like I said, feel free to change it up as your tastebuds see fit.

Sweet Potato Fries
3 - 5 Medium Sweet Potatoes
1/4 Cup - Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon - Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon - Salt (I prefer Kosher or Sea)
1 Teaspoon - Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon - Basil
1/4 Teaspoon - Cayenne Pepper

- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Wash SPs and butcher into whatever shapes you desire. You can peel them if you like, but I prefer to leave the skins on.

- Place SPs in gallon-sized ziploc bag, add oils & spices, seal bag, and shake 'til everything is thoroughly coated.

- Using a large slotted spoon, scoop SPs onto rimmed baking sheet and spread them around as much as possible.

- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until you've reached desired crispiness.

In my book, SPFs are the main course and anything else on the plate is a sideshow; however, these avocado reubens gave the SPFs a run for their money!

Avocado Reubens
Adapted from the Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, Reuben-esque

Rye Bread
Thousand Island (preferably homemade)
Avocado
Sauerkraut (fully drained)
Swiss Cheese

- Toast bread
- Place on baking sheet
- Slather one half with Thousand Island
- Lay several generous slices of avocado on "dressed" side of bread
- Mound the other slice of bread with kraut
- Top with one (or two, I won't judge) slice(s) of swiss cheese
- Place under broiler 'til cheese is fully melted
- Assemble sandwich and attempt to eat without making a giant mess--good luck!



No comments: